Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique employed in animal training, and in the treatment of phobias and similar conditions in humans, in which behavior incompatible with a habitual undesirable pattern is induced.Compare with deconditioning
- ‘Behavioral changes involve activities that change overt behaviors and include counter-conditioning, stimulus control, contingency management, self-liberation, and helping relationships.’
- ‘Desensitization and counter-conditioning are so effective that one can honestly call this problem 99% solvable.’
- ‘Most fears can be treated using desensitization and counter-conditioning techniques, which require a lot of time and patience.’
- ‘‘For example, with counter-conditioning if a dog sees a child running it can be retrained to react by going to its owner for a treat,’ Dr Kase said.’
- ‘In that group, a median of 1.1 additional counter-conditioning treatments were used.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.