One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blow given in return.
- ‘The PLA air force would not fly except in exceptionally favorable circumstances or when an opportunity arose for a decisive counterblow.’
- ‘The Soviet army inflicted considerable damage to the Army Group Center and slowed down its advance by stubbornly fighting at intermediary lines and delivering counterblows by mechanized corps and combined-arms formations.’
- ‘Thus, front troops, under these conditions, were able to continue advance or conduct defensive operations holding advantageous positions and even to deliver counterblows.’
- ‘In the other case it applies to using mobility of the troops and their fire power to deliver surprise counterblows at the advancing enemy.’
- ‘And when the counterblows came - the SS King Tiger tanks bursting through the pine trees and over the Soviet trenches - these men died where they stood.’
- ‘The counterblow at Senno and the Soviet counterblows in other places halted the German onslaught and, by night of 9 July, created a defense line along the rivers of Zapadnaia Dvina and Dnieper.’
- ‘These two notions cause an escalatory diplomatic blow and counterblow of name-calling and invective, as witnessed in the months before the outbreak of war in late March 2003.’
- ‘The natural desire is to limit the need to go face-to-face with one's enemy and hence to avoid the enemy's counterblows.’
- ‘Generosity is so far removed from the predictable, petty, gruesome dance of blow and counterblow, that it can cause parties to stop and think.’
- ‘The counterblow of the right wing of the Western Front carried out according to Directive No.3 of the Main Headquarters failed to produce expected results.’
- ‘This latter action, this counterblow against the attacker, was intrinsic to the whole concept of defence.’
- ‘The hastily organized counterblow by the forces of the 14th mechanized corps of the 4th army at the left wing of the Western Front failed to produce any noticeable success either.’
- ‘Eventually, Adams grabbed the initiative with an energetic counterblow in the centre.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.