1A vertical cutting blade fixed in front of a plowshare.
- ‘A Canadian researcher, however, reported that adding a coulter in front of a sweep manure injector increased draft force by 27 percent and caused greater soil surface roughness compared with the sweep alone.’
- ‘At first, researchers modified a transplanter by adding a front coulter to slice through cover crop residues, which worked well in moist, mellow soils.’
- ‘The units are configured with 22-in. coulters in front, followed by a row cleaner, tillage/fertilizer knife and independently floating, 18-in. berm-building discs.’
- ‘Suitable planting conditions exist when the surface soil is dry and has small hairline cracks that allow it to crumble when moved by the cutting coulters, disk openers, cover blades, and press wheels.’
- ‘They lacked the long sleek lines of the local boats that went from tree to sea with such grace, under the shipwright's spell, turning the waves aside like coulters and combines, ploughing and harvesting.’
- 1.1The part of a seed drill that makes the furrow for the seed.