One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The seed of the cotton plant, yielding cottonseed oil.
- ‘Most likely they are packed with soybean, cottonseed or corn oil.’
- ‘As a result of the demand for organic meats and dairy products, organic cottonseed is currently being cultivated in California.’
- ‘Farm cash receipts for cotton and cottonseed continue to decline, down $300 million from last year.’
- ‘He says that cotton farmers and co-ops could take advantage of the cottonseeds they harvest to economically provide a necessary ‘lost-in-use’ lubricant to themselves.’
- ‘Also, unlike hybrid seeds like paddy and millet, in cottonseed, cross-pollination (which lasts for four months) has to be done manually.’
- ‘Vegetable-based inks, in which vegetable and petroleum oils are mixed, frequently consist in part of soybean, corn, cottonseed, or linseed oil.’
- ‘The next year they got even more seeds, and in the following years the supply of cottonseed steadily grew.’
- ‘An estimated two-thirds of the cotton grown in the United States comes into the food chain, in the form of cottonseed oil used in crackers, chips and salad dressings, and in cottonseed fed to cattle.’
- ‘Vegetable oil is the term for any oil that's derived from oilseed crops such as soybean, rapeseed, or cottonseed.’
- ‘The nutrient requirements of all animals were met using an optimal blend of soybean meal, cottonseed, corn grain, forage, minerals, and vitamins.’
- ‘The fourth section on processing has chapters on ginning, classing of fiber, spinning, yarn preparation, and cottonseed processing.’
- ‘If you don't have enough green material for your pile, add a few cups of fertilizer such as cottonseed or alfalfa meal instead.’
- ‘Once the rotenone is extracted from the mature seeds, the remaining oil is a fine alternative to cottonseed, peanut, or soybean oil.’
- ‘When cottonseed is processed and the seed coat is disrupted, the oil in the seed might be more rapidly released in the rumen, and presence of free oil might increase the synthesis of trans fatty acids and impact milk fat synthesis.’
- ‘It has also been isolated from cottonseed in Arizona.’
- ‘Asked about other marketing opportunities, he says ranchers are buying his organic cottonseed for feed.’
- ‘Then it was discovered that an edible oil could be pressed from the seeds, and cottonseed oil became an important by-product of the large cotton industry.’
- ‘Two years later, it entered Texas in infested cottonseed.’
- ‘The settlers of Jamestown brought cottonseed to the New World, but they were unable to produce the fiber in significant quantities.’
- ‘In favorable conditions, these fungi can infect crops such as corn, cottonseed, wheat, or peanuts, producing toxins that can cause serious illness in livestock and may be carcinogenic to humans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.