One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of the states of the southern US of which cotton is or was a major product.
- ‘The result of these links between the Upper South and the northern part of the cotton states was an overland trade that expanded markedly in the years before secession.’
- ‘Yet one incontrovertible fact set him decidedly apart from the rabid cotton state defenders of the peculiar institution.’
- ‘South Carolina was the oldest of the cotton states and the first to experience soil depletion.’
- ‘Virginia secessionists and their cotton state allies, after all, would have to make concrete predictions about the economic vitality of the Confederacy.’
- ‘Two factors in particular shaped the clashing societies of the cotton states - the origins of the settlers and the patterns of the regional economy.’
- ‘Yet Missourians refrained from adopting the language of division emanating with increasing volume from the cotton states.’
- ‘Even after Lincoln's election and the secession of the cotton states, many Virginians remained doubtful about the desirability of Southern independence.’
- ‘Observers also noted the correlation between this trade and divisions within the cotton states.’
- 1.1a nickname for the state of Alabama
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.