A North American bug that feeds on cotton bolls, causing reddish staining of the fibers.
- ‘When these antihormones are applied to immature cotton stainers and Mexican bean beetles, the insects grow into sterile adults.’
- ‘Empty weavers' nests dangled from lifeless tree branches and flea beetles and cotton stainer bugs provided the only movement in that empty place.’
- ‘The life cycles of the pale cotton stainer and the cotton harlequin bug have not been fully studied.’
- ‘Pungent smoke from the desiccated shrubs wafted through the cotton fields, instantly driving out the cotton stainers, which ruin cotton by puncturing the seeds, releasing oils that stain the boll.’
- ‘Okra is grown nearby to attract away cotton stainers - one insect that the ants don't attack.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.