One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A business or manufacturing activity carried on in a person's home.
- ‘Born of people's misfortunes, credit counseling was a sleepy cottage industry for a long time.’
- ‘The amount of fees that many colleges are demanding will be enough to set up a cottage industry or tiny business enterprise.’
- ‘The considerable increase in business has created a cottage industry in the professions.’
- ‘Debunking him has become a cottage industry.’
- ‘This would be a great cottage industry for some of our under-developed neighbouring countries.’
- ‘She makes it clear that she never saw her frozen baby-food company as a cottage industry.’
- ‘You know, if you think about the situation they were in a generation ago, football was really a cottage industry.’
- ‘As a result, whale-watching has become an island cottage industry.’
- ‘Medicine, which was largely a cottage industry until the Second World War, has been transformed by several factors.’
- ‘As managing director, he has guided the company from a small cottage industry to a multimillion-euro success.’
- ‘A cottage industry has grown up among professional military historians and history buffs sponsoring these tours.’
- ‘He's learned to combine the high-tech with the unapologetically low-tech in his cottage industry.’
- ‘We need to stop acting like a cottage industry and respect that clients entrust us with significant amounts of money to get them results.’
- ‘Despite stiff competition, there is a big demand for cheap varieties of detergent powder, which can be manufactured as a cottage industry.’
- ‘Before the Industrial Revolution England's economy was based on its cottage industry.’
- ‘Second, human-rights watchdogs and lawyers are a veritable cottage industry these days.’
- ‘It's clear that this is no longer a cottage industry.’
- ‘In spite of this, a cottage industry has developed in recent years around educational programming for very young children.’
- ‘The private investment market is like a cottage industry, with a large number of small players.’
- ‘Masks and wood sculptures have developed into an important cottage industry for the men of one community.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.