One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A business or manufacturing activity carried on in a person's home.
- ‘As managing director, he has guided the company from a small cottage industry to a multimillion-euro success.’
- ‘You know, if you think about the situation they were in a generation ago, football was really a cottage industry.’
- ‘She makes it clear that she never saw her frozen baby-food company as a cottage industry.’
- ‘Debunking him has become a cottage industry.’
- ‘In spite of this, a cottage industry has developed in recent years around educational programming for very young children.’
- ‘The amount of fees that many colleges are demanding will be enough to set up a cottage industry or tiny business enterprise.’
- ‘We need to stop acting like a cottage industry and respect that clients entrust us with significant amounts of money to get them results.’
- ‘He's learned to combine the high-tech with the unapologetically low-tech in his cottage industry.’
- ‘Masks and wood sculptures have developed into an important cottage industry for the men of one community.’
- ‘A cottage industry has grown up among professional military historians and history buffs sponsoring these tours.’
- ‘The private investment market is like a cottage industry, with a large number of small players.’
- ‘Second, human-rights watchdogs and lawyers are a veritable cottage industry these days.’
- ‘It's clear that this is no longer a cottage industry.’
- ‘Born of people's misfortunes, credit counseling was a sleepy cottage industry for a long time.’
- ‘Despite stiff competition, there is a big demand for cheap varieties of detergent powder, which can be manufactured as a cottage industry.’
- ‘This would be a great cottage industry for some of our under-developed neighbouring countries.’
- ‘Before the Industrial Revolution England's economy was based on its cottage industry.’
- ‘The considerable increase in business has created a cottage industry in the professions.’
- ‘Medicine, which was largely a cottage industry until the Second World War, has been transformed by several factors.’
- ‘As a result, whale-watching has become an island cottage industry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.