One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A perching bird found in the forests of Central and South America, the male of which is frequently brilliantly colored.
- ‘They say the gray-winged cotinga occupies forest at a higher elevation than the black-and-gold cotinga.’
- ‘A plum-throated cotinga, like the one shown above in a lowland rain forest, is one species of over a thousand that make Peru a birder's paradise.’
- ‘So far the program has proved effective, but it hasn't yet passed what might be called its final exam: the search for the elusive gray-winged cotinga.’
- ‘Actually finding the cotinga would be a huge step toward establishing the use of computer models as viable tools for determining what areas should be protected.’
- ‘Using remote sensing predictions, the researchers calculate the likely range of a rare and range-restricted endemic bird of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the grey-winged cotinga.’
Via French from Tupi cutinga.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.