One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The level of prices relating to a range of everyday items.
- ‘It finally took foreign visitors to make waves about the spiralling cost of living here.’
- ‘They would not be able to survive on those types of wages, given the cost of living.’
- ‘We get increases in line with inflation but inflation and the cost of living never seem to be the same.’
- ‘To help achieve these ends, farmers should receive support related to the cost of living or average earnings.’
- ‘The cost of living would rise and people's standard of living would be eroded.’
- ‘The poverty line does not even account for regional variations in the cost of living!’
- ‘They demanded reasons from the Cabinet for the increases in prices and the cost of living in general.’
- ‘All we are asking for is a decent wage to cover the cost of living as council tax keeps rising.’
- ‘What will this do to the cost of goods and thereby again to the cost of living?’
- ‘The main reason for this is inflation, basically the broad measure of the rising price of the cost of living.’
- ‘He cites the rising cost of living in the capital as one of the major factors behind the executive exodus.’
- ‘Urban food prices are rising faster than the cost of living and wages.’
- ‘Prices were high, but commensurate with the inflated cost of living on the Pacific coast.’
- ‘Adding to all those burdens is the high cost of living and the ever-escalating property market.’
- ‘In addition, the mayor's budget assumes that city workers' wages will not keep up with the rising costs of living.’
- ‘When you consider the price of things now and the rising cost of living, anything less is just unrealistic.’
- ‘Property prices and the cost of living are low but the journey time is a a disadvantage, direct flights taking about four hours.’
- ‘I earn above minimum wage, but it makes no difference, as the cost of living in this country is simply beyond my means.’
- ‘In theory, high food prices should have pushed up the cost of living by a substantial amount.’
- ‘He said the upcoming Budget should not see too much added to the cost of living as the public purse looks healthy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.