Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A variety of wine grape native to the Veneto region of northeastern Italy, used to make Valpolicella and Bardolino.
- ‘In Valpolicella they use grapes not likely to be on the Who's Who of Grapes: rondinella, molinara, and the leader of the pack, corvina.’
- ‘It is made from a blend of late harvested and dried refosco, carmenere and corvina, making it sort of a super-Venetian as they call it on the back label.’
Italian (feminine adjective), literally raven-black.
A marine food and game fish of the drum family, found on the Pacific coasts of California and Mexico and sometimes living in fresh water.
- ‘Species to expect include various species of tuna, the odd billfish and in some areas, large inshore corvinas and white sea-bass.’
- ‘It got its start as a fishing camp based around the totoaba, a large corvina fish that spawns in the upper gulf's shallow, sediment-laden waters, and around shrimp.’
- ‘Well, you can always take a trip into the ocean to fish for corvinas, soles and sharks.’
- ‘Dine on seafood specialties, including the superb ceviche de corvina - raw white sea bass marinated in lime juice.’
- ‘Today was a very good day: In 3 hours I got 17 corvinas.’
- ‘It is possible to catch caimans and turtles in the rivers; the Peruvian Sea is recognized by its production of corvinas, lenguados, anchoveta, bonito, crustacean and shellfish.’
- ‘Pintados, pirarucus, tucunarés, corvinas, mandubés, barbados, dorados, mandis and many others crowd the waters of this abundant River.’
- ‘The shortfin corvina was introduced into the Salton Sea in southern California.’
- ‘The possibilities of fishing large corvinas, brótolas, small hakes, pejerreyes, rays and chuchos increase considerably.’
- ‘In addition to the bass and halibut, San Diego's ‘back bay’ area plays host to good numbers of shortfin corvina in the 2-to - 3-pound class.’
- ‘The corvinas more usually seen in the fish market in Aljezur weighed about 7-15 kg, but these were caught by the fishing boats based in Lagos.’
- ‘San Diego and Mission Bays offer outstanding fishing for a medley of inshore species, including spotted bay, sand and calico kelp bass, shortfin corvina, bonefish (yes, the same fish found on Florida flats), halibut, barracuda, bonito and mackerel.’
- ‘There are bass, halibut, white seabass, shortfin corvina, bonito, barracuda and many other species that will test any angler's skill and fly tackle.’
Late 18th century: from Spanish and Portuguese.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.