One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman's foundation garment combining corset and bra.
corset, corselet, foundation garment, panty girdleView synonyms
- ‘One of most curious abandoned items was a corselette, a woman's foundation garment, not easily removed.’
- ‘Once we reached our teens many girls wore corsets or corselets under their uniforms to keep their figure in trim.’
- ‘They were also hybridized, with brassière tops being added to corsets to form the corselette, or attached to petticoats, and so forth.’
- ‘He then removed the corselet she wore underneath, leaving her only in her shift.’
- ‘Mind you, Elaine C Smith wearing a scarlet latex corselet in her role as Miss Adelaide is worthy even of the Turner Prize.’
1920s: from corselet (see corselet).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.