One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A number between −1 and +1 calculated so as to represent the linear dependence of two variables or sets of data.
- ‘Whether a correlation coefficient is statistically significant or not will be affected by two factors.’
- ‘We calculated a partial correlation coefficient that adjusted for both partners' ages.’
- ‘A value of 1 on the correlation coefficient indicates a linear dependence of the character on N level and a value of 0 indicates no dependence on N.’
- ‘The absolute value of the correlation coefficient represents the strength of the association between the two variables.’
- ‘Researchers sample populations over a range of latitudes to calculate a correlation coefficient between body size and latitude for a particular species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.