One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two masses of erectile tissue forming the bulk of the penis and the clitoris.
- ‘This increased flow of blood fills up the two corpora cavernosa resulting in an erection.’
- ‘Eleven patients had an accessory vessel in the corpus cavernosum arising from the dorsal penile artery.’
- ‘However, at this point in time robust registration of fast and small changes in the corpus cavernosum smooth muscle action potential is not possible.’
- ‘Sildenafil, the first oral drug marketed for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, relaxes smooth muscle in the corpora cavernosa, enabling erection during arousal.’
- ‘Injections into the corpora cavernosa may be used as a diagnostic procedure to assess erectile response, and have been enthusiastically taken up by some practitioners as a treatment.’
From corpus and Latin cavernosum, neuter of cavernosus ‘containing hollows’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.