One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural corpora cavernosaAnatomy
Either of two masses of erectile tissue forming the bulk of the penis and the clitoris.
- ‘Injections into the corpora cavernosa may be used as a diagnostic procedure to assess erectile response, and have been enthusiastically taken up by some practitioners as a treatment.’
- ‘However, at this point in time robust registration of fast and small changes in the corpus cavernosum smooth muscle action potential is not possible.’
- ‘Sildenafil, the first oral drug marketed for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, relaxes smooth muscle in the corpora cavernosa, enabling erection during arousal.’
- ‘Eleven patients had an accessory vessel in the corpus cavernosum arising from the dorsal penile artery.’
- ‘This increased flow of blood fills up the two corpora cavernosa resulting in an erection.’
From corpus and Latin cavernosum, neuter of cavernosus ‘containing hollows’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.