One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad band of nerve fibers joining the two hemispheres of the brain.
- ‘In addition, in murderers' brains, the corpus callosum - a band of tissue that links the right and left hemispheres - also functioned poorly.’
- ‘In this preparation the corpus callosum, caudate nucleus, and most brainstem structures have been removed.’
- ‘The great cerebral vein can be seen curving below the splenium of the corpus callosum to empty into the straight sinus.’
- ‘In the depths of the specimen it is possible to see the inferior surface of the corpus callosum, to which the body of the fornix is firmly attached.’
- ‘The mass extended into the left hemisphere through the anterior corpus callosum and obliterated the frontal horn of the right lateral ventricle.’
Early 18th century: from corpus and Latin callosum, neuter of callosus ‘tough’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.