One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Meal made from ground, dried corn.
- ‘It is not the same as cornmeal or maize meal, which are relatively whole flours containing most of the maize grain.’
- ‘In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.’
- ‘In another medium mixing-bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour and baking powder.’
- ‘The dough can derive from cornmeal, flour, potatoes, or green bananas.’
- ‘For the foie gras pancakes, in a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, and cornmeal.’
- ‘Zimbabwean hosts feed 6,000 people rice and cornmeal porridge twice daily from black cooking pots lined up on the conference grounds.’
- ‘The oysters, fried in a fine-textured breading instead of the usual Gulf Coast cornmeal, fairly popped with juices.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and mix well.’
- ‘Drop each piece on a tray liberally dusted with rice flour or cornmeal and roll them over until well coated.’
- ‘For breakfast people may eat porridge made of cornmeal or oatmeal, cereal, or bread and tea.’
- ‘Products like cornmeal, baking soda and cornstarch are also not allowed.’
- ‘My grandmother, of course, cooked them - lightly breaded in cornmeal - and we feasted.’
- ‘Dip the sweetbread pieces in buttermilk, liberally coat with the seasoned cornmeal mix and sear on all sides until golden brown.’
- ‘Meal components such as cornmeal, salt fish, and salt beef were supplied to the original plantation labor forces.’
- ‘Built in 1846, the mill processed flour and cornmeal back in the valley's early days.’
- ‘It is flavored with garlic or onion, and thickened with rice or cornmeal dumplings called Bori.’
- ‘Combine butter with cornmeal and rub into flour.’
- ‘If you are using pizza dough, form it into two round pizza crusts, using cornmeal instead of flour to prevent it from sticking.’
- ‘It can be long-grain or wild rice, grits, bulgur, cornmeal muffins, or even popcorn.’
- ‘These tortillas come in two flavors as well, plain corn and red chili-flavored cornmeal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.