Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The removal of husks from ears of corn.
- ‘Winter is coming, and Charlotte's days are filled with cornhusking and candle dipping and helping Mama mind baby Mary.’
- ‘He had his cornhusking to do, and he wanted to get all the fall jobs finished before cold weather.’
- ‘Broadcasts of games are picked up in almost every store and gas station from Omaha to the western border; farmers sometimes neglect their cornhusking in the afternoon to hear the game over the radio.’
- ‘The conception of cornhusking as a sport rather than a chore sprang from the fertile brain of Henry Agard Wallace.’
- ‘I have been thinking of home very much today; wondering if you were all well and whether you have finished cornhusking.’
- 1.1 The husking of corn by several people as a social event.Also called husking bee
- ‘Its large rooms were fashioned not just to accommodate weddings, funerals, prayer meetings, cornhuskings, and the like, but to provide shelter during storms and Indian attacks.’
- ‘Previous to this affair my father, from all I can learn, had been a good-humored and light-hearted man, the ringleader in all fun at cornhuskings and Christmas buffoonery.’
- ‘They must hurry to complete their chores early, as by late afternoon they will journey three miles by foot to attend a cornhusking and dance in their neighbors’ new barn.’
- ‘It is nearly impossible to specify a rigid format for string bands prior to the onset of the recording industry, perhaps because ‘bands’ were usually informal groups thrown together to play for dances, cornhuskings, auctions, etc.’
- ‘During the 1780s, community cornhuskings, barn raisings, logrollings, and quilting bees symbolized the overall cooperation among rural New Englanders.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.