One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of bread made from cornmeal and typically leavened without yeast.
- ‘The goal was to have them for dinner tonight with some fresh slaw, a sweet corn salad, some good cornbread and beer.’
- ‘The vadai masala, consisting of whole lentils, hot red chillies, onion, mustard seeds and cilantro, was quite crunchy - somewhere between cornbread and spicy falafel.’
- ‘Better to order the soulful steamed littleneck clams in a broth livened by chorizo sausage, with a clever hunk of grilled cornbread to sop up the juices.’
- ‘Or as food ‘eaten all over the country, but with greater frequency in the South’, like cornbread and biscuits.’
- ‘I prepared it the other night, coming home from work: I had cornbread on the mind and I wanted to use up a lonely head of broccoli that was feeling a bit neglected.’
- ‘If you're interested in ham hocks, cornbread, southern funeral repasts, and the history of soul food, she's the expert.’
- ‘So cornbread has a special value to me, I call it ‘conversion bread’.’
- ‘A thicker version is good on warm cornbread or pitas.’
- ‘Dinner consisted of beer, cornbread, a bit of cheese and tortilla chips.’
- ‘But whenever one of these classic New Orleans meals came with cornbread, it was the same sweet, yellow stuff I've always known: Northern-style.’
- ‘Corn flour cannot be substituted for corn meal for cornbread, whereas corn meal cannot be substituted for corn flour for tortillas.’
- ‘We were handed a bowl containing a square of white-corn cornbread soaking up the bacon-flavored pinto bean broth along with a cup of sweet, fresh buttermilk.’
- ‘Southerners added their own slant with cornbread and grits.’
- ‘I was so happy to eat biscuits and cornbread I nearly yelled ‘Yeehaw!’’
- ‘Guests including Sharon Stone and Christina Aguilera were served southern comfort food including spareribs and cornbread.’
- ‘Any type of bread is great on your feeder tray or tossed on the ground - stale biscuits and bread, crusts, crackers, cornbread, pancakes, bagels, French toast - even doughnuts.’
- ‘You see - my dad can only cook so much - cereal, Chef Boyardee, meatloaf (surprisingly his meatloaf isn't that bad), tacos, and cornbread.’
- ‘The winning dressing is a Southwestern mix of cornbread and chorizo.’
- ‘The two finalists are as different as pastrami and cornbread.’
- ‘The itty-bitty biscuits and cornbread muffins remain in fine form, so the arrival of the breadbasket here is something to anticipate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.