Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An oil obtained from the germ of corn, used in cooking and salad dressings.
- ‘Replace the garlic with chopped onion and the olive oil with corn oil.’
- ‘Vegetable fats and oils with a high proportion of unsaturated fatty acids (e.g. olive oil, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, corn oil or wheat germ oil) are to be preferred.’
- ‘It's easy, she says: Use canola oil instead of corn oil when cooking, put ground-up flaxseeds in muffin mixes, and eat fish once or twice a week.’
- ‘Using a large skillet, heat up 1/2 cup of corn oil.’
- ‘Foods to avoid include margarine, fast food and processed foods containing sunflower, safflower and corn oil.’
- ‘By cutting out soy oil and corn oil, and using olive oil instead, you can, virtually double the effect of any fish that you eat, scientists believe.’
- ‘It is cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oil which may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil or sunflower oil.’
- ‘Add the molasses, corn oil, and maple syrup and, using a rubber spatula, gently stir to combine.’
- ‘If you want to use oil for cooking, try olive oil or canola oil instead of oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats, such as corn oil, peanut oil, and many margarines.’
- ‘Overall, fish oil consumption results in mild-to-modest improvement in psoriatic symptoms, although some studies show fish oil was not superior to corn oil or olive oil.’
- ‘He advises consumption of expeller-pressed seed oils such as flax and borage oils, as well as coconut oil, rather than corn oil or margarine.’
- ‘While fried food is usually unhealthy, the four fast food restaurants surveyed have switched to low cholesterol cooking oils like soybean and corn oil.’
- ‘Ireland remains the most expensive country in the eurozone for basic foodstuffs, particularly for individual grocery items like eggs, mineral water, corn oil, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, oranges, chips, salt and instant soup.’
- ‘Olive oil, canola oil, and sesame oil are healthier than corn oil or vegetable shortening.’
- ‘Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 inch of corn oil to the skillet.’
- ‘Plant sources of fats such as corn oil, peanut oil, and soybean oil are up to 94% digestible.’
- ‘Because it has a high smoke point, corn oil is ideal for frying or pan searing over high heat.’
- ‘Sources of the essential fatty acid linoleic acid are soybean oil, corn oil and safflower oil.’
- ‘The fatty acids are derived from either soybean or corn oil.’
- ‘In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade attachment, add the garlic, cumin, thyme, and corn oil and pulse to combine.’
corn oil/ˈkôrn ˌoil/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.