Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small corm growing at the base of a mature corm.
- ‘Any small cormlets can also be planted out next year, but these won't flower, but will grow into larger flowering size corms for the following year.’
- ‘The small cormlets are more difficult to overwinter - try using shallow trays filled with dry peat.’
- ‘Inoculation increased the number of cormlets produced by two of the three varieties, however only one variety produced larger cormlets when inoculated.’
- ‘In order to propagate, lift the corms and gently pull away the cormlets then replant the mature corm.’
- ‘You can dig them up and peel off the cormlets to grow new plants.’
- ‘It will take anywhere from 2-5 years for these cormlets to produce a flower.’
- ‘The cultivars do not necessarily grow true from their seeds, though the offset cormlets do grow true to the parent.’
- ‘As maturity approaches, the leaves begin to diminish in size, flowering occurs and the cormlets reach maximum size for the season.’
- ‘Take care to remove all the little cormlets too, you may want to keep them to build up your planting stock.’
- ‘Removal of buds in cutting reduced inflorescence number and corm and cormlet yield.’
- ‘Here on the west coast, where every wee cormlet left in the ground in the fall sprouts in the spring, home gardeners will empathize with Parkinson.’
- ‘If mowed earlier than this, the newly forming cormlets (developing on top of the mother corm) will not become large enough to flower next year.’
- ‘The plants produce numerous cormlets and the flowers are lighter in color with more prominent inrolled staminodes.’
- ‘Grows satisfactorily from cormlets, because husks of cormlets are very hardy and they sprout very long.’
- ‘The small cormlets can be removed in the spring and planted with the regular corms in a nursery row.’
- ‘This involves picking off the cormlets and replanting them elsewhere in the garden.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.