One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A charge made by a restaurant or hotel for serving wine that has been brought in by a customer.
- ‘Arrive at La Romantica before 7.30 pm and you can bring your own wine - there is no corkage fee - and choose any pizza or pasta for £4.95.’
- ‘Wine can be purchased from the shop and enjoyed at the restaurant for a small corkage fee.’
- ‘Near the White House, The Oval Room has introduced a BYO Wine Night on Saturday, waiving the corkage fee.’
- ‘By the way, Matt said you can BYO for a small corkage charge only.’
- ‘With their $11 tax cut they can look forward to being able to splash out on the corkage at Scully's.’
- ‘Mains range from 11.50-16.50, and it is BYO only, with a $1.50 corkage charge per person.’
- ‘The drink list is minimal, but you can bring your own wine and there is no corkage charge.’
- ‘Besides being able to buy mixed drinks, beer and 50 wines by the glass at the bar, you can buy any bottle of wine in the store at cost plus tax and a $7 corkage fee and drink it at the bar.’
- ‘Dinner costs £27.50, and corkage for wine is £1 per bottle.’
- ‘You can bring your own wine without paying a corkage fee.’
- ‘Dunne & Crescenzi is more an eatery than a restaurant and is offering good value in all sorts of areas, like corkage at €3 and set menus.’
- ‘Hotels charge corkage for opening and serving the wine which invariably means it costs the same as the house wine.’
- ‘Reluctant to rub the politico's son the wrong way, the management allowed him to use the bar without charging corkage.’
- ‘Kazu is also BYO, but be warned, corkage is a little steep at $5 a bottle (only slightly cheaper than the wine my esteemed colleagues and I provided…).’
- ‘They said there would be a $10 corkage for each bottle, but in our case, that was waived after the first bottle.’
- ‘But ask about corkage fees and make sure they will provide glasses, coolers and a suitable storage area for advance deliveries.’
- ‘The delightful feature of this establishment is that you can buy a bottle of wine, wander through to the trendy bar and have it served to you in Riedel glasses (the world's finest) without corkage.’
- ‘Most will permit patrons to bring their own wine upon payment of a corkage fee, if the request is made in appropriate fashion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.