One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An adherent of the same religion as another person.
- ‘And to what extent is it proper for religious authorities to try and influence their co-religionists who happen to occupy these posts?’
- ‘Romanian Protestant churches conduct their services in the same manner as their American coreligionists, employing Romanian pastors who are subordinated to various local American jurisdictions.’
- ‘This gesture earned our admiration and respect because rarely do leaders of any religion admit that their co-religionists have committed wrongs against others.’
- ‘It deals with truth and error, with behavior towards co-religionists and religious opponents, and with the coercive power of the state.’
- ‘This seems to me the language that is rightly used among coreligionists within the church, not between state officials and citizens in a criminal proceeding.’
- ‘He intended to secure for all time a religious and civil equality for his co-religionists.’
- ‘His trance-like universe of moral relativism was disturbed when he met a group of his coreligionists who promised him answers and certainties, if only he renounced his wayward path and became a true believer.’
- ‘Christian members of the cabinet were used to persuade their co-religionists.’
- ‘Sometimes we have to talk badly about our people, which can mean our fellow citizens, our racial or ethnic group or in this case our coreligionists.’
- ‘Many wanted him to continue paganism, but he got Christian and his land was taken over by German co-religionists.’
- ‘Does that go as far as shopping co-religionists for any indication of heightened religiosity?’
- ‘A society where the interests of your family, tribe, or coreligionists are generally put ahead of the ‘common interest’ will have a tougher time building a successful, modern political and economic infrastructure.’
- ‘For Phil and his co-religionists, there is no distinction between prophecy and self-fulfilling prophecy.’
- ‘You're motivated by and, in fact, are permitted under current law to hire coreligionists, people who believe as you do.’
- ‘As a political liberal who is also a devout Baptist, I have grudging admiration for my conservative coreligionists.’
- ‘Here is a man whose co-religionists in 1840 did not have freedom of religion in England.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.