One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The capacity of the muscles of the torso to assist in the maintenance of good posture, balance, etc., especially during movement.
- ‘Hence, developing core stability is essential to maintaining optimal fitness, injury prevention and good performance.’
- ‘Third, muscular strength of both lower back and abdominal muscles will provide support and stability for your spine, sometimes known as core stability.’
- ‘To recap, core stability describes a strong trunk which stays rigid during athletic and everyday activities.’
- ‘Along with defining your buns and the backs of your thighs, you'll develop more core stability, which translates to better posture and stronger muscles.’
- ‘At the same time, however, we've started working for core stability and improved posture.’
- ‘This is but one example of a move that improves strength, power, muscle mass, core stability, balance and overall athleticism.’
- ‘Flexibility, strength and core stability are essential pre-requisites for both the dancer and gymnast.’
- ‘Choose exercises that place maximum demand on your buttock and hamstring muscles while also challenging core stability.’
- ‘Physical conditioning includes the requirement to develop skills not normally associated with aerobic fitness and strength such as agility, balance, co-ordination and core stability.’
- ‘She led practical and progressive sessions on core stability.’
- ‘So while 50 static crunches can't hurt, they aren't necessarily going to help build your core stability.’
- ‘It would incorporate co-ordination and isolation skills, as well as learning about the different muscle groups and core stability.’
- ‘Core stability is crucial for injury prevention—anyone who has ever felt the pain of a severe back injury will understand what I am talking about.’
- ‘Like all Pilates sessions, the underlying emphasis is on core stability and fluid, functional strength.’
- ‘If technique, flexibility and core stability (abdominal/postural strength) are all good, no injuries should ever arise.’
- ‘They're very functional—excellent for helping to develop core stability.’
- ‘The transverse abdominus maintains core stability, helping provide support to the spine, rib cage and pelvis.’
- ‘The exercises required for core stability are very specialised and require instruction from a physiotherapist.’
- ‘Over the last few years the importance of 'core stability' in athletic training and preparation has been increasingly recognized.’
- ‘My priority was reducing his weight, strengthening his core stability and making sure he remained supple.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.