One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A defining capability or advantage that distinguishes an enterprise from its competitors.
- ‘Over the years, governments, like many other enterprises, have discovered that their core competency is not software development.’
- ‘Flexibility has to be a core competency, both culturally and skill-wise, and it has to be written into the agreement.’
- ‘Breaking the group down into companies with a change manager in place and those without one, 52 percent and 19 percent, respectively, believe that change management is a core competency.’
- ‘Are you giving away your brand equity or core competency when you do that?’
- ‘Our core competency is about growing our new brand.’
- ‘Managers know that building a talent pool is as much a core competency as is creating strategic advantage or championing change.’
- ‘Consultants who are independent of auditing and accounting can better focus on their core competency of solving increasingly complex business problems.’
- ‘The dual vision of better, more stable markets and the desire to have a core competency advantage reflected in its products keeps the company focused on making the needed remodelings.’
- ‘Maybe you guys should quit dispensing uninformed political advice and stick with your core competency: reporting business news.’
- ‘In those cases, it makes more sense to leverage an outsider's investment in technology, although Sinton adds that that approach should never be taken for processes that are a company's strategic driver or core competency.’
- ‘In short, by taking a new view and a new approach to managing data, marketers will be able to focus on strategizing and making sound marketing investments - which is their core competency - not on wrestling with reams of data.’
- ‘This means identifying the one thing you really do best (hint: It's the business you're already in) and letting this core competency guide your decision making.’
- ‘ChartOne wanted to be able to focus its resources on its core competency - the creation of medical information-related applications - while relying on a third party for the storage solution.’
- ‘Beyond cost cutting, BPO is also viewed as a strategic tool, allowing companies to jettison functions that fall outside their core competency.’
- ‘Few companies can claim a core competency in learning processes - especially today, with the shift to more technology-enabled learning options.’
- ‘‘When we stay close to our core competency, we beat them,’ says Adobe Systems Inc.’
- ‘For Augustine Medical, patent management was becoming a core competency.’
- ‘It is Toyota's underlying marketing/design, engineering and manufacturing approach that is the source of its enormous competitive advantage and the core competency that has allowed it to steadily grow worldwide market share.’
- ‘But focusing on a particular product segment, or a particular market sector, or a particular core competency is not the same thing as having a big idea.’
- ‘‘We went into this with the conventional wisdom that running a call center was not a core competency of ours, but we realized it was after all,’ he says.’
- 1.1 A defined level of competence in a particular job or academic program.
- ‘He measured the relationship of self-assessed core competency levels and self-assessed service performance, defined as frequency of performance of public health job tasks, at a US metropolitan health department.’
- ‘This common level of proficiency would define the core competencies of the CA at entry to the profession.’
- ‘Following the assessment of core competencies, the report says, several programs are being developed to ensure that administrative offices and academic departments are able to reach the established expectations.’
- ‘The Task Force has collaborated since 1999 to determine and develop a set of skills or core competencies needed to conduct effective Public Issues Education programs.’
- ‘MPI is currently developing a program that will define core competencies necessary for meeting professionals to move from one level to the next.’
- ‘National consensus has been reached over what components constitute the core competencies of CAs, and over the level of knowledge expected of newly qualified CAs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.