One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for pollen basket
- ‘Honey bees leaving the dispenser-fitted hive did wade through the pollen, but they readily started packing the pollen clinging to their body into their corbiculae.’
- ‘She also has the ability to carry 2,000 to 3,000 pollen grains in her corbiculae.’
- ‘She's loading pollen onto her corbiculae, hair-rimmed, basket-like structures on her back legs that hold the bright grains for transport to her colony.’
- ‘The presence or absence of the corbiculae is a good way to determine the genus of female specimens.’
- ‘Following the collection, the bees fly near the flower and move the resin ball from the mandible to one of the corbiculae.’
Early 19th century: from late Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.