Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tropical or subtropical thorny shrub or tree with showy red or orange flowers that are pollinated by birds.
- ‘Richmond Landcare Inc is organising a free workshop to assist landholders battling with the major environmental weed, coral trees.’
- ‘We do grow fireman's cap or coral tree, Erythrina crista-galli, a small tree/large shrub nearly 20 feet in height.’
- ‘Between the judges' chambers are smooth, square ponds surrounded by indigenous coral trees and cycads.’
- ‘It is fireman's cap or coral tree, Erythrina crista-galli, a small tree/large shrub that matures to approximately 20 feet in height.’
- ‘Indeed, San Vicente can resemble an open-air gym, with bicyclists in its dedicated lanes and joggers plying the median, whose gnarled, twisting coral trees have been honored as a neighborhood monument.’
- ‘So if lucky beans turn easily into giant coral trees, there's no reason why we shouldn't have more Cape chestnuts around town, especially as they have different flowering times.’
- ‘Among the suggestions she makes are… ‘Imagine a Coral City Festival, Coral City Bird Festival, children's drawing competitions, plant a coral tree and return to visit it in a few years.’’
- ‘Latso Wertlen, behind whose garden in Bonnie Doon the parents built a nest in a tall coral tree last year, tells me the female chick is an adolescent now and he believes she will be on her way soon.’
- ‘You'll be here at the start of spring and you'll see several trees in bloom - the striking orange blossoms of the coral tree, and white blooms of the wild pear tree.’
- ‘An axial planting of coral trees, for instance, was employed not to obscure, but to project and accentuate the building's profile.’
- ‘My suggestion to him was there are so many coral trees flowering that perhaps the birds just can't cover them all.’
- ‘Companion plants that look good with the dwarf coral tree include Helichrysum cymosum, buchu, crocosmia and the blombos.’
- ‘He's standing some distance from the path, almost hidden by the low spreading branches of a flowering coral tree.’
- ‘This kind of symbiosis, incidentally, is also found in leguminous or pod forming plants - including peas and beans, wisteria vines, acacia, mesquite, and coral trees.’
- ‘One only has to look at some coral trees in small gardens, wild figs and blue gums that have got out of hand.’
- ‘Two young doves had been picked up in their nest when a coral tree was chopped down.’
- ‘I look for the sky but it is hidden from the eye by the Spanish oaks, genipas, and the giant mountain immortelles arching over the bayrum and coral trees and the pink cedars, that in turn hang over the wild birchberry and guava trees.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.