One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brightly colored venomous snake of the cobra family, typically having conspicuous bands of red, yellow, white, and black.
Micrurus and other genera in the family Elapidae: numerous speciesCompare with false coral snake
- ‘‘It's an Asian coral snake,’ crackled the radio voice.’
- ‘Of some 20 venomous snakes in the United States, all but coral snakes are pit vipers.’
- ‘Probably I was at my greatest physical risk when I was bitten by a coral snake in Central America.’
- ‘Cobras can cause local swelling, blistering, and necrosis; other Elapidae such as kraits, coral snakes, and Australian death adders produce negligible local envenoming.’
- ‘As a result, snake predators are genetically predisposed to avoid coral snakes, which thus affords mimics' protection, he explained.’
- ‘The striping recalls a coral snake in a highly stylized way.’
- ‘One exception is the Arizona coral snake, which is not associated with human fatality and for which no antivenin exists.’
- ‘I've had tons of leeches, foot rot, botflies, and a bite from a coral snake that nearly killed me.’
- ‘Vipers, elapids (cobras, mambas, coral snakes and kraits) and a few other snakes have evolved venom as a way of capturing prey.’
- ‘The ruse works so successfully that some 30 other non-venomous snakes have mimicked the coral snake and share similar color patterns.’
- ‘Dogs bitten by any of Texas' dangerous snakes, including rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, copperheads and coral snakes, often suffer unnecessarily.’
- ‘Polypeptide neurotoxins act as competitive antagonists and include the venoms from snakes of the Elapidae (cobras, kraits, mambas, coral snakes, etc.) and Hydrophidae (sea snakes) families.’
- ‘The Eastern coral snake, itself highly venomous, is also easily avoided.’
- ‘The image of a deadly coral snake came from a photograph Wynne found in the Museum of Natural History archives.’
- ‘In just one of the many intensive educational programs at the American Museum of Natural History, college students this summer studied such creatures as Alabama coral snakes and Brazilian sea turtles.’
- ‘A patient with suspected envenomation by the eastern coral snake needs immediate treatment with an appropriate antivenin, and necessary resuscitation measures should be implemented.’
- ‘The coral snake's diet consists of small snakes, lizards, and amphibians.’
- ‘Rattler, a giant rattlesnake, was hiding amidst the skyscrapers with Yellowback, a giant coral snake.’
- ‘The venoms of coral snakes, exotic elapids and some Mojave rattlesnakes are neurotoxic and usually cause local numbness instead of pain and swelling, with the risk of cranial nerve palsies, respiratory paralysis, and death.’
- ‘Thus, several kinds of king snakes mimic the venomous coral snake's distinctive pattern of alternating red, black, and yellow or white bands.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.