Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ridge of rock in the sea formed by the growth and deposit of coral.‘the small island is enclosed in the middle of the coral reef’
- ‘The Seychelles are volcanic islands and the coral reefs around them ensure that divers and snorkellers have much to marvel at under water.’
- ‘On a global scale, coral bleaching is the largest threat to the world's coral reefs.’
- ‘Offshore drilling would damage coral reefs and mangrove swamps and threaten endangered sea life.’
- ‘The 1,000 - acre island has three miles of white sandy beaches surrounded by coral reefs and turquoise waters.’
- ‘Divers and naturalists rave about the pristine waters, coral reefs and untouched forests, while vulcanologists go weak at the mere thought of its many smoking peaks.’
- ‘Some Navy bombs never exploded when fired, dropping instead into the shallow ocean water and remaining there, lying on the coral reef or resting on the ocean floor.’
- ‘The British Navy had erected this lighthouse there in colonial days to warn frigates away from the coral reefs.’
- ‘Divers can still explore coral reefs and swim with shoals of fish and even sharks.’
- ‘Coral reefs are among the world's most productive ecosystems.’
- ‘Last week we went swimming at night in a bay where I carefully wriggled my way in the dark among some coral reefs where moray eels were sleeping.’
- ‘"The concern is that coral reefs might pass a critical bleaching threshold beyond which they are unable to regenerate," Dekker concludes.’
- ‘Surely, people would not knowingly live in ways that threaten polar bears or coral reefs.’
- ‘Shot almost entirely on location on and around the Fiji islands, the film is alive with colorful coral reefs, majestic waterfalls and lush jungles.’
- ‘When properly protected, coral reefs can apparently recover quite quickly.’
- ‘In the warm shallow seas around deserted far-flung islands, we undertake an astonishing journey through still living and growing coral reefs.’
- ‘The protected coral reef is close enough to shore to explore in safety with a snorkel.’
- ‘The acid environment is killing off coral reefs, shellfish and plankton, the basis for nearly all marine life.’
- ‘Atauro is 25 kilometres long with a mountainous spine, narrow coastal plains, and fringed by some of the best coral reefs in the world.’
- ‘Coral reefs provide protection to coastal areas and protect delicate coastal wetlands and mangrove swamps from storms.’
- ‘Landing at Mauritius offers stunning views over the blue and green waters of the Indian Ocean and the deep hues of the coral reef.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.