Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A red-flowered heuchera ("Heuchera sanguinea") native to the southwestern US, but established elsewhere with many ornamental cultivars.→ heuchera
- ‘Plants, such as coral bells and fringed bleeding heart, will produce flowers all season, especially if they are regularly picked.’
- ‘In spring, flowering spiraea and coral bells bloom behind it.’
- ‘In our southeastern Ohio garden, the hummers love ‘Gartenmeister’ fuchsia, lantana, orange trumpet creeper, delphinium, coral bells, and zinnias.’
- ‘Using plants appropriate to the climate, Scott-Smith surrounded a diminutive pond and creek with ferns, Italian buckthorn, pines, and woodland plants such as columbine, coral bells, and violets.’
- ‘An all-American perennial breaks into gardening's big leagues by Lynn Ocone Native heucheras, also called alumroot or coral bells, have always been high on my list of favorite perennials.’
- ‘And the deep-toned bronze leaves of coral bells, barberries, purpleleaf sand cherry (Prunus x cistena), and burgundy fountain grass flatter the flowers as well.’
- ‘Small-flowered plants such as asters, coral bells, nemesia, and yarrow are great fillers.’
- ‘For instance, hummingbirds are attracted to coral bells and columbine in spring, scarlet monkey flower and salvia in summer, and California fuchsia in late summer and fall.’
- ‘Provide bright flowers such as columbine, Japanese quince, scarlet sage, snapdragons, coral bells, trumpet honeysuckle, bee balm, phlox and others that are tube-shaped to attract hummingbirds.’
- ‘The best choices include abutilon, agastache, alstroemeria, bee balm, cestrum, cleome, coral bells, fuchsia, honeysuckle, lion's tail, penstemon, red-flowered perennial lobelia, salvia, and zauschneria.’
- ‘Tom says lady's mantle and coral bells (Heuchera spp.) respond well to this treatment.’
- ‘But many others happily adapt to a regular garden irrigation regime: coral bells, monkey flowers, wild strawberry, Western columbine, and wild ginger are examples.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.