One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A red-flowered heuchera ("Heuchera sanguinea") native to the southwestern US, but established elsewhere with many ornamental cultivars.
- ‘For instance, hummingbirds are attracted to coral bells and columbine in spring, scarlet monkey flower and salvia in summer, and California fuchsia in late summer and fall.’
- ‘And the deep-toned bronze leaves of coral bells, barberries, purpleleaf sand cherry (Prunus x cistena), and burgundy fountain grass flatter the flowers as well.’
- ‘Tom says lady's mantle and coral bells (Heuchera spp.) respond well to this treatment.’
- ‘Provide bright flowers such as columbine, Japanese quince, scarlet sage, snapdragons, coral bells, trumpet honeysuckle, bee balm, phlox and others that are tube-shaped to attract hummingbirds.’
- ‘In our southeastern Ohio garden, the hummers love ‘Gartenmeister’ fuchsia, lantana, orange trumpet creeper, delphinium, coral bells, and zinnias.’
- ‘The best choices include abutilon, agastache, alstroemeria, bee balm, cestrum, cleome, coral bells, fuchsia, honeysuckle, lion's tail, penstemon, red-flowered perennial lobelia, salvia, and zauschneria.’
- ‘An all-American perennial breaks into gardening's big leagues by Lynn Ocone Native heucheras, also called alumroot or coral bells, have always been high on my list of favorite perennials.’
- ‘Using plants appropriate to the climate, Scott-Smith surrounded a diminutive pond and creek with ferns, Italian buckthorn, pines, and woodland plants such as columbine, coral bells, and violets.’
- ‘Small-flowered plants such as asters, coral bells, nemesia, and yarrow are great fillers.’
- ‘But many others happily adapt to a regular garden irrigation regime: coral bells, monkey flowers, wild strawberry, Western columbine, and wild ginger are examples.’
- ‘Plants, such as coral bells and fringed bleeding heart, will produce flowers all season, especially if they are regularly picked.’
- ‘In spring, flowering spiraea and coral bells bloom behind it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.