Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Behaving in such a way as to suggest a playful sexual attraction; flirtatious.‘a coquettish grin’
flirtatious, flirty, provocative, seductive, inviting, amorous, kittenish, coy, arch, teasing, playful, frisky, flighty, skittish, dallying, philanderingcome-hither, vampishView synonyms
- ‘He was cute, coquettish - almost the girl of the group - so how could he be smart?’
- ‘Benatar had a rough-hewn sexuality; John was coquettish and irksomely cute.’
- ‘The bedroom scenes with a playful and coquettish Cariola show the duchess and Antonio's fragile happiness and the sensuality of their love.’
- ‘Peering out from behind a helmet of black hair, she is stylish but not styled, neither coquettish sex kitten nor guitar-toting tomboy.’
- ‘In common with Alcoholics Anonymous, the manual encourages her to face up to the extent of her mendacity and list her lies, an exercise which allows Porter to go through a series of coquettish and flirty set pieces.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.