Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Have sexual intercourse.
mate, couple, breedView synonyms
- ‘So if we have one man and one woman who copulate in the standard way, and not in any kind of other way that we find troubling, then they can raise children.’
- ‘It's that plain and simple: find a mate, copulate, produce offspring, raise it, set it off into the world when the time comes, retire. That's what the Unromantics say.’
- ‘Unwanted but unwilling to accept defeat, and whining loudly from neighboring trees whenever the couple was copulating, the three rivals attacked Donald one at a time.’
- ‘In the sexual race, worms have hermaphroditic sexual organs, and copulate and then lay cocoons filled with several fertilized eggs.’
- ‘However they are not expected to love them, just copulate with them.’
- ‘If it was previously in doubt, we now know that unmarried sexual partners can copulate without going to prison.’
- ‘In the case of humans, the last male to copulate would be in a position to displace the semen left by previous males before inseminating the female with his own semen.’
- ‘Males carrying the more common allele sired a greater proportion of offspring when they were the second to mate, but females were more likely to re-mate after copulating with these males.’
- ‘Third, males may attempt to copulate with their social mate as frequently as possible to win the sperm competition battle.’
- ‘Males typically respond to persistent female sexual initiation by mounting and copulating with the female.’
- ‘We observed the pair's behaviors continuously until the snails either became unreceptive, achieved mutual copulation, or were separated before copulating.’
- ‘Emlen and his colleagues discovered that in three out of four cases, the female copulated with multiple mates and, in these cases, most broods included chicks that were not sired by the nest-male.’
- ‘In the laboratory, golden egg bugs copulate repeatedly, with copulations often lasting [greater than] 10 hours.’
- ‘As adults, men look at porn because they are, ‘unnaturally’ one might say, hormonally driven to copulate with multiple partners but unable to do so.’
- ‘Also, males cannot force females to copulate as copulation is only possible when the female assumes a horizontal body posture.’
- ‘Pairing copulations are preceded by females indicating their willingness to copulate by adopting the receptive position; females lie flat in the water to allow the male to mount.’
- ‘It is very rare for already mated females to copulate on the sly with males who are socially subordinate to their current mates.’
- ‘Most species perform prelaying courtship feeding, which conflicts with mate guarding, and copulate frequently.’
- ‘Displacement of the resident male lasted only until the neighboring animal had copulated with the female; after copulation, the neighboring animal returned to the area in which he was usually active.’
Late Middle English (in the sense ‘join’): from Latin copulat- ‘fastened together’, from the verb copulare, from copula (see copula).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.