One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The involuntary and repetitive use of obscene language, as a symptom of mental illness or organic brain disease.
bad language, foul language, strong languageView synonyms
- ‘Complex tics might include jumping, smelling objects, touching the nose, touching other people, coprolalia, echolalia, or self-harming behaviors.’
- ‘But no, coprolalia is not the right description.’
- ‘A child with coprolalia may blurt out insults, racial slurs or obscenities.’
- ‘Well, that's the most commonly recognised form of Tourette's, which is called coprolalia.’
- ‘The swearing and verbal abuse to which you refer is known as coprolalia and it is that that often receives the media attention - but it is present in only a small minority of people with Tourette Syndrome.’
Late 19th century: from Greek kopros ‘dung’ + lalia ‘speech, chatter’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.