Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small or microscopic aquatic crustacean of the large class "Copepoda"
- ‘Their diet consists primarily of parasitic copepods and other invertebrates that are taken from the mouth and gill openings of larger fish.’
- ‘The most numerous inhabitants are hydroids and copepods.’
- ‘When a female copepod ingests the remains of a male mosquito larva killed by the protozoans, the copepod also ingests the spores.’
- ‘Blacksmith are plankton feeders preferring zooplankton, including copepods, and the eggs and larvae of other marine organisms.’
- ‘Their diet consists mainly of copepods.’
- ‘This type of feeding can be found among certain spiders, mantids, scorpions, copepods, and midges.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.