The number of atoms or ions immediately surrounding a central atom in a complex or crystal.
- ‘Finally, we consider the effect of the coordination number of the heme iron atom.’
- ‘As seen in Fig.10, newly generated cells move to sites with a higher coordination number, i.e., with a higher number of neighboring cells.’
- ‘The hydration pattern is perturbed around the star site; the running coordination number is greater by 1.6 water molecules than that of the correct site.’
- ‘These results show a single cell migrating along the colony border toward a site with a larger coordination number.’
- ‘This definition of the first coordination shell gives a coordination number of ~ 2.65.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.