Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for cooperage
- ‘The site of the Shakespeare, on the corner of Lionel Street was home to a coopery or barrel maker when most of this area was then part of the Colmore estate.’
- ‘The cellars include not only the usual fermentation and ageing rooms, but also a coopery, providing the family with a constant supply of oak barrels.’
- ‘Rockland has three or more ship-yards, one marine railway, two boat-builders, three grain mills, three carriage factories, six lumber mills, two machine shops, three cooperies, a tannery, etc.’
- ‘It is seen in words such as coopery and laundry.’
- ‘Turning into a narrow lane that cut several streets from the trip home, the lone reveler stumbled and cursed over a pile of debris shed by the mouldering roof of an abandoned coopery.’
- ‘Traditional production and crafts in their contemporary form will be presented by the masters of coopery, pottery, basketry, tinker's craft and smithery.’
- ‘In the Montréal area, he also owned a sawmill, a cookie factory (cookies for voyageurs) and a coopery.’
- ‘Their role in winemaking is fundamental, which explains why properties that have the means to buy barrels are keen to have their own coopery.’
- ‘With the purpose of making better known a disappearing craft, the author of the article presents also a short story of coopery.’
- ‘However, Thatcham was a town of small cottage industries: wood turning, coopery, milling and various cloth making activities.’
- ‘This last item may not have been firewood though, for Thomas Walton practised coopery as a second craft.’
- ‘They also have their own cooper, and both the coopery and the shire stables are open to the public.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.