One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad conical straw hat as worn by laborers in some Asian countries.
- ‘Our young guide is beautiful and elegant, standing there in the pelting rain in a full-length pale blue gown, with water pouring off her coolie hat.’
- ‘The restaurant owner, a former social worker, gives us a couple of particularly finely made coolie hats and asks us to pass them on to anyone in the city who we think looks particularly deserving of them.’
- ‘Here we float on bamboo rafts past fishermen in coolie hats and sleek, grey-brown water buffalo, standing knee-deep to drink between ploughing shifts.’
- ‘We are strongly reminded of the two beggar ladies from the previous afternoon, on receiving their new coolie hats.’
- ‘I sure hope so because I doubt that today's edition could be any more obvious without resorting to coolie hats and 60's soundtracks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.