One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An appliance used for cooking food.
- ‘For the middle classes, the decline of domestic servants was facilitated by the rise of domestic appliances, such as cookers, electric irons and vacuum cleaners.’
- ‘Most homeowners were left without basic living means after central heating, cookers, ovens, house alarms and telephones were damaged beyond use by the fault.’
- ‘Hot plates and electric cookers serve as kitchens.’
- ‘Both families have found themselves frequently without lighting, heating, hot water or use of electrical appliances such as the cooker or kettle.’
- ‘Included in the sale are an electric cooker and gas hob.’
- ‘My kitchen consisted of a cold water tap, an electric cooker, and a dishwasher.’
- ‘The employees are not allowed to use electrical appliances like cookers, refrigerators and pressing irons for fear of overloading the system.’
- ‘Electric cookers, mattresses, fridge freezers, furniture, carpets and similar goods are all examples of the type of materials that can be collected.’
- ‘There is a range of integrated appliances including an oven, cooker and four-ring ceramic hob.’
- ‘The pieces allow state of the art cookers, fridges, ovens, microwaves and dishwashers to be concealed behind beautiful facades and ingenious storage devices.’
- ‘‘Fourteen of us share two electric cookers and two fridges,’ he complains.’
- ‘Here you will find Waterford's stainless steel range cookers, built-in ovens and hobs, hoods, splashbacks and an enormous American style fridge freezer.’
- ‘Two walls of it were lined with cupboards and kitchen appliances, like the cooker and the fridge-freezer which was crammed with blue ice pops.’
- ‘Like the fridge, the cooker was a staple appliance - every kitchen had one and it was a shape that we thought would never alter.’
- ‘It was a time when pressure cookers, gas cookers and food mixers were making kitchen tasks easier, but refrigerators were still something of a novelty.’
- ‘Carelessness with regard to open fireplaces, heaters, cookers, electric blankets and smoking are the leading causes of fire deaths and injuries.’
- ‘In addition to this the ultra-modern culinary arts kitchen includes both gas and electric cookers, microwave ovens etc.’
- ‘Features include a polished wooden floor, a tiled splashback, cream wall and floor units, an electric cooker and a gas hob.’
- ‘Purchase rates for electric cookers and hobs are also above average.’
- ‘Integrated appliances include a cooker with hob, double oven with extractor fan, a fridge-freezer and a dishwasher.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.