Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An appliance used for cooking food.
- ‘Carelessness with regard to open fireplaces, heaters, cookers, electric blankets and smoking are the leading causes of fire deaths and injuries.’
- ‘Like the fridge, the cooker was a staple appliance - every kitchen had one and it was a shape that we thought would never alter.’
- ‘There is a range of integrated appliances including an oven, cooker and four-ring ceramic hob.’
- ‘It was a time when pressure cookers, gas cookers and food mixers were making kitchen tasks easier, but refrigerators were still something of a novelty.’
- ‘Features include a polished wooden floor, a tiled splashback, cream wall and floor units, an electric cooker and a gas hob.’
- ‘In addition to this the ultra-modern culinary arts kitchen includes both gas and electric cookers, microwave ovens etc.’
- ‘My kitchen consisted of a cold water tap, an electric cooker, and a dishwasher.’
- ‘Included in the sale are an electric cooker and gas hob.’
- ‘Hot plates and electric cookers serve as kitchens.’
- ‘Integrated appliances include a cooker with hob, double oven with extractor fan, a fridge-freezer and a dishwasher.’
- ‘Two walls of it were lined with cupboards and kitchen appliances, like the cooker and the fridge-freezer which was crammed with blue ice pops.’
- ‘Most homeowners were left without basic living means after central heating, cookers, ovens, house alarms and telephones were damaged beyond use by the fault.’
- ‘Both families have found themselves frequently without lighting, heating, hot water or use of electrical appliances such as the cooker or kettle.’
- ‘‘Fourteen of us share two electric cookers and two fridges,’ he complains.’
- ‘Here you will find Waterford's stainless steel range cookers, built-in ovens and hobs, hoods, splashbacks and an enormous American style fridge freezer.’
- ‘The pieces allow state of the art cookers, fridges, ovens, microwaves and dishwashers to be concealed behind beautiful facades and ingenious storage devices.’
- ‘Purchase rates for electric cookers and hobs are also above average.’
- ‘The employees are not allowed to use electrical appliances like cookers, refrigerators and pressing irons for fear of overloading the system.’
- ‘For the middle classes, the decline of domestic servants was facilitated by the rise of domestic appliances, such as cookers, electric irons and vacuum cleaners.’
- ‘Electric cookers, mattresses, fridge freezers, furniture, carpets and similar goods are all examples of the type of materials that can be collected.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.