One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A food, typically a complete meal, that has been pre-prepared commercially and so requires little cooking by the consumer.
- ‘What do you think about the proliferation of ready meals, takeaways and convenience food?’
- ‘The pasty was a convenience food of the mining town of Cornwall.’
- ‘Bolton health visitors are blaming it on the sugary snacks and convenience food they eat.’
- ‘And convenience food, something prepared is often three to 400 times what the ingredients cost if you go buy them at the store.’
- ‘Apart from being a bit weird, this is textbook product innovation and a real sign of vitality in the sector but would you launch a new convenience food in the middle of a war?’
- ‘Where they were a rarity, fast food outlets are now prevalent and convenience food is the preferred easy option to fit in with our busy lifestyles.’
- ‘A lot of convenience food is going to contain fat, salt and sugar and I would always urge people to prepare their own meals using fresh ingredients, which is the only way to be entirely sure what is in your food.’
- ‘Our market research has shown that there is growing demand for healthy convenience food in Ireland.’
- ‘As a convenience food for human beings, however, with slick marketing and the halo of a health food, soy is worth billions.’
- ‘An early convenience food developed two centuries ago for Leicestershire huntsmen to carry in their saddlebags is at the centre of a meaty dispute.’
- ‘Clearly, many vegetarians live off diets of convenience food and this is incredibly unhealthy.’
- ‘More convenience food than ever is being bought in this country, but thanks to the fantasy, it is being bought not with a sense of liberation but guilt.’
- ‘"Changing lifestyles, rising income and the spread of the supermarket in place of wet markets have all led to a boom of packaged food and convenience food in China, " the council said.’
- ‘The family horseradish patch provided his first convenience food; his horseradish was offered for sale, scrubbed and scraped or grated in vinegar, in clear glass bottles which revealed the purity of the product.’
- ‘Our stated mission is to be the premier consumer products company in the world, focused primarily on convenience food and beverages.’
- ‘Changing social demographics, including a younger age profile, the rise of single homes and a ‘new’ working population, mean that more consumers are looking for healthy convenience food.’
- ‘We need to look at everything - the fat and sugar content of convenience food and get the exercise message across.’
- ‘As I hadn't eaten since breakfast, I decided to look for a stall selling convenience food, such as a hamburger or a pizza.’
- ‘I have written a lot of cookbooks and they don't use convenience products, unless you consider canned tomatoes convenience food.’
- ‘The ritual of coming together to prepare and share a meal, once held sacred by families, was replaced with convenience food popped in the microwave, to be eaten on the run or in front of the television.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.