One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Time spent recovering from an illness or medical treatment; recuperation.‘a period of convalescence’‘I had a long convalescence ahead’
recuperation, recovery, return to health, process of getting better, rehabilitation, improvement, mending, restorationView synonyms
- ‘It is important to remember that it is a very serious condition and that recovery and convalescence can take time - months and years, rather than weeks.’
- ‘Recovery is mostly uneventful but convalescence is prolonged with generalized weakness, fatigue and depression.’
- ‘Apart from a deep cut in his left arm, he recovered quickly and was discharged from the field hospital after a week of convalescence.’
- ‘Adults with disability or conditions such as alcoholism may also require extended convalescence and careful discharge planning.’
- ‘The hospital is no longer a place for convalescence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.