One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The upper front part of the right ventricle of the heart.
- ‘The heart appears to be the most primitive of all adult vertebrates, with the auricle, ventricle and conus arteriosus arranged in straight line, rather than being doubled over one another.’
- ‘A conus artery arising from the aorta was found in 50% of 651 subjects.’
- ‘Since the aorta and the pulmonary artery develop from a common conus arteriosus, irregular and imperfect development of the septum between them may also produce variations.’
2The conical lower extremity of the spinal cord.
- ‘A spinal ultrasound from the second day of life (not provided) showed the spinal cord conus to be normally positioned at L1.’
- ‘The spinal cord tapers caudally to become the conus medullaris.’
- ‘An MRI (not shown) showed the conus medullaris to be at L1 - L2, and the sacrum to be dysplastic.’
Late 19th century: from Latin, literally ‘cone’.
The 48 contiguous states in the United States (that is, all the states except Alaska and Hawaii).
Acronym, from con tiguous U nited S tates.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.