A Central and South American parakeet that typically has green plumage with patches of other colors.
- ‘I have a dusky conure, and she is that parakeet's twin.’
- ‘I'm not sure if Quaker parrots live as long as conures, but I was also warned that she would need a mate by age 10 or so, or she'd become extremely sullen and nasty.’
- ‘A colony of cherry-headed conures lives close to downtown San Francisco.’
- ‘The collection of colourful South American macaws and Patagonian conures has been allowed to come and go as they please from their enclosure at the town's South Lakes Wild Animal Park for the past ten years.’
- ‘She and her husband reside in Arizona with their two cockatoos, two conures and a Chihuahua.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin conurus (former genus name), from Greek kōnos cone + oura tail.