One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that gives rise to controversy or public disagreement.‘the horse was controversially disqualified from first place’
- ‘He controversially vetoed this in order to fund military spending.’
- ‘Controversially, the report recommended reviewing the committee's role in funding.’
- ‘The controversially high entrance charge of $20 is for the museum.’
- ‘Less controversially, the wadi has been turned into a road (it always was a sort of thoroughfare).’
- ‘He did everything to make the bureau head's job untenable, until the latter was controversially sacked.’
- ‘Potential sales include the hospital, controversially closed last month.’
- ‘The 2–3 final score was a big disappointment after conceding a controversially deflected early goal.’
- ‘The labor historian, controversially, also points to new rights-based principles that damaged trade unionism.’
- ‘The five trees were controversially felled by the district council in November 2001.’
- ‘To put it controversially, psychoanalysis must lull the patient into a false sense of security.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.