One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that gives rise to controversy or public disagreement.‘the horse was controversially disqualified from first place’
- ‘He controversially vetoed this in order to fund military spending.’
- ‘The five trees were controversially felled by the district council in November 2001.’
- ‘The labor historian, controversially, also points to new rights-based principles that damaged trade unionism.’
- ‘Controversially, the report recommended reviewing the committee's role in funding.’
- ‘The controversially high entrance charge of $20 is for the museum.’
- ‘Less controversially, the wadi has been turned into a road (it always was a sort of thoroughfare).’
- ‘Potential sales include the hospital, controversially closed last month.’
- ‘To put it controversially, psychoanalysis must lull the patient into a false sense of security.’
- ‘The 2–3 final score was a big disappointment after conceding a controversially deflected early goal.’
- ‘He did everything to make the bureau head's job untenable, until the latter was controversially sacked.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.