A rod of a neutron-absorbing substance used to vary the output power of a nuclear reactor.
- ‘Replacing the water heater's magnesium corrosion control rod with one made of aluminum or another metal may improve the situation.’
- ‘The valve includes a valve body for closing or opening the control path; a control rod; and a rod passage receiving the control rod.’
- ‘The critical factor here is the setting of the rear control rod, which checks the toe-in.’
- ‘Because of its neutron-absorption capacity, gadolinium is used in the manufacture of control rods for nuclear power plants.’
- ‘This property is utilized in control rods of nuclear reactors, which regulate the number of free neutrons passing through the reactor.’