Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rod of a neutron-absorbing substance used to vary the output power of a nuclear reactor.
- ‘Replacing the water heater's magnesium corrosion control rod with one made of aluminum or another metal may improve the situation.’
- ‘The valve includes a valve body for closing or opening the control path; a control rod; and a rod passage receiving the control rod.’
- ‘The critical factor here is the setting of the rear control rod, which checks the toe-in.’
- ‘Because of its neutron-absorption capacity, gadolinium is used in the manufacture of control rods for nuclear power plants.’
- ‘This property is utilized in control rods of nuclear reactors, which regulate the number of free neutrons passing through the reactor.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.