Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
deliberate, careful, thoughtful, considered, conscious, calculated, intentional, volitional, designed, mannered, measured, studious, knowing, purposefulView synonyms
- ‘Harris rejected such an ahistorical and artificially contrived formulation of African studies.’
- ‘Here, however, several contrived situations are grafted into the plot to generate artificial tension.’
- ‘My idea of a game, first of all, is that it represents a subset of the rules of Life, or an artificially contrived set of rules that represent something else entirely.’
- ‘Is her vulnerability a natural or contrived circumstance?’
- ‘In the end, a few short minutes in such contrived circumstances did little to further the debate on the something already described as a ‘national disgrace’.’
- ‘This is an authentic confessional, full of self-corrections and digressions and commentary on itself, without ever feeling contrived or artificial.’
- ‘Thus a contrived dichotomy between human rights and national security has been artificially orchestrated.’
- ‘This theme is played out through a dozen strangers who become related by artfully contrived coincidence.’
- ‘We are breaking free from our completely contrived preconception of how things ought to be.’
- ‘How could it be that in a situation as artificially contrived as a television studio, you could get this frank and free discussion between two people?’
- ‘The seemingly haphazard arrangement of pavilions was a contrived effect, it can be seen as a stand against the Beaux Arts tradition.’
- ‘They would rather deal with technology than with philosophy, tackle contrived situations than trigger debates on the nuances of film images.’
- ‘Both are real and ancient things, ignored by those who live in a bubble of artificial laughter and contrived wit, but alive to those who meet them in the everyday.’
- 1.1 Created or arranged in a way that seems artificial and unrealistic.‘the ending of the novel is too pat and contrived’
forced, strained, studied, artificial, affected, put-on, pretended, false, feigned, manufactured, unnaturalView synonyms
- ‘By all rights it shouldn't be; the story and situations are so contrived and so dependent on coincidence as to be completely unbelievable.’
- ‘The plot is contrived in a lot of places and uses some lazy devices in others.’
- ‘The film moves from one contrived situation to another.’
- ‘The outside shots of the hospital during a thunderstorm look impressive, but the fire visuals are as artificial as the contrived resolution.’
- ‘Though supposedly posing a test of survival skills, the desert-island situation was rather contrived.’
- ‘Other critics cite stock characterization, weak plots, and contrived endings.’
- ‘Its plot is more contrived and seems to be a little bit rushed towards the end.’
- ‘Though the exposition is convoluted and a lot of the plot details are contrived, I kind of dug the story.’
- ‘The actors enter and exit through an archway at the rear of the stage, reminding the audience of the deliberately contrived nature of the play.’
- ‘It doesn't miss an obvious, telegraphed joke, but never comes up with an instance of humor that isn't contrived, plotted, or stale.’
- ‘Although it is fairly contrived and full of coincidences, it never feels forced or silly.’
- ‘And both locate the main action in a peculiarly stylised family home, isolated in an equally contrived semi-rural landscape.’
- ‘Though its outcome could be considered contrived, the plot is woven with skill, leaving us always anticipating when it will pick up and proceed with another thread.’
- ‘A poor script with bad dialogue and a cheesy, contrived family crisis doesn't help her much.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.