One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There is usually a period of outright lying, followed by Harry contritely admitting that he has hit, kicked, pushed or thrown something at William.’
- ‘If I have caused any embarrassment or distress to the parties concerned I unreservedly, sincerely and contritely apologise.’
- ‘A man should pray with eyes fast-closed and head contritely bowed.’
- ‘The lad's nationality had nothing to do with anything, a fact contritely conceded later by the person who made the first remark.’
- ‘But as the firms began contritely co-operating with officials on settlements of the charges, investors responded rapidly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.