One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But as the firms began contritely co-operating with officials on settlements of the charges, investors responded rapidly.’
- ‘The lad's nationality had nothing to do with anything, a fact contritely conceded later by the person who made the first remark.’
- ‘A man should pray with eyes fast-closed and head contritely bowed.’
- ‘If I have caused any embarrassment or distress to the parties concerned I unreservedly, sincerely and contritely apologise.’
- ‘There is usually a period of outright lying, followed by Harry contritely admitting that he has hit, kicked, pushed or thrown something at William.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.