One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Failure of an injured plaintiff to act prudently, considered to be a contributory factor in the injury suffered, and sometimes reducing the amount recovered from the defendant.
carelessness, lack of care, lack of proper care and attention, dereliction of duty, non-performance of duty, non-fulfilment of duty, remissness, neglectfulness, neglect, laxity, laxness, irresponsibility, inattention, inattentiveness, heedlessness, thoughtlessness, unmindfulness, forgetfulnessView synonyms
- ‘The amount of the judgment entered at trial reflected the reduction made on account of the plaintiff's contributory negligence.’
- ‘Negligence, or contributory negligence, will suffice either to defeat the claim or to reduce the award of damages.’
- ‘Whether a plaintiff is guilty of contributory negligence is a question of fact.’
- ‘In respect of the second flood, the claimants were not guilty of contributory negligence.’
- ‘That, of course, does not mean that the appellant was guilty of contributory negligence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.