One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A contusion resulting from the brain contacting the skull on the side opposite from where impact occurs.Compare with coup
- ‘Blunt trauma is responsible for coup and contrecoup ocular injury.’
- ‘Ignorance of the possibility of either coup or contrecoup contusions during criminal assault can lead to misinterpreted injuries.’
- ‘The classic contrecoup contusion has minimal brain injury at the site of impact and contusion in the opposite side of the brain.’
- ‘When I first became an animator, I never would have thought that my knowledge of contrecoup brain injuries would ever be needed again - especially in such an important way.’
- ‘A case of contrecoup intracerebellar hematoma is reported.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.