One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually be contraindicated
(of a condition or circumstance) suggest or indicate that (a particular technique or drug) should not be used in the case in question.
- ‘Immunization during pregnancy is contraindicated because the effects on the fetus are unknown.’
- ‘The vaccine is contraindicated in pregnant women, children under the age of six years, and immunocompromised patients.’
- ‘Immuno deficient people and those for whom vaccine is contraindicated can also be helped.’
- ‘This drug is also contraindicated in children with anorexia nervosa, bulimia, or epilepsy.’
- ‘In these situations oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are contraindicated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.