One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A trail of condensed water from an aircraft or rocket at high altitude, seen as a white streak against the sky.
- ‘We also saw lots of jet contrails in the blue sky above.’
- ‘However, the fact that the volume of air traffic is set to rapidly grow in coming years makes it important to investigate the effects of contrails on our climate.’
- ‘The reason, it turns out, is that American airspace was shut down, and no airplanes means no contrails.’
- ‘Like other high, thin clouds, contrails reflect sunlight back into space and cool the planet.’
- ‘If the aircraft was making a contrail, the pilot was to turn back.’
- ‘It's hard to make a smoke plume look more threatening than a far-off contrail.’
- ‘Sometimes, when we pass very close to or even fly through contrails left by another jet, we can see the twisting motion caused by the jet exhaust which created them.’
- ‘I suggest it might be possible that fast moving jets generating energy and contrails in an electrically charged atmosphere may be able to form red plasma orbs that were imaged by Nicolas.’
- ‘The jets attempted to intercept and identify the source of the contrail, but no visual or confirmed radar contact was made, he added.’
- ‘Although this complicates global warming arguments, it offers further evidence that contrails do affect climate in some way.’
- ‘Higher and farther to the west the contrails of the aircraft bent around the mountains and merged with the clouds, pointing north.’
- ‘Commercial airline pilots later reported the contrail over Florida and later over Indiana.’
- ‘A couple years ago, I was fascinated to hear about the possibility that airplane contrails have an effect on the weather.’
- ‘There was no smoke or contrails behind the craft, and it made no noise in the perfectly clear sky.’
- ‘The thick, twisting contrails still prevented any visual sightings.’
- ‘They speculated that the nuclei of the ice ball could have been lingering jet contrails that then descended through a nearly saturated atmosphere.’
- ‘The jet engine contrails have have caused most or all the warming observed in the United States for nearly 20 years.’
- ‘There were no vapor trails or contrails coming off the craft either.’
1940s: abbreviation of condensation trail.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.