One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Distinguish between (two things) by contrasting them.
- ‘This report attempts to disprove the existence of an international code of diplomacy by contradistinguishing diplomatic practices between the North and the South.’
- ‘In his article he contradistinguishes Europe and the West, while ably tying in the Lithuanian case.’
- ‘The privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States, as contradistinguished from citizens of a State, are chiefly defined in the first eight amendments to the Constitution of the United States.’
- ‘It is important to understand, however, that (for Plato at least) the rational part of the soul is not to be identified with what Hume called Reason and contradistinguished from the Passions.’
- ‘A judge may exercise out of court all the powers expressly conferred upon a judge as contradistinguished from the court.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.