One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vacuole in some protozoans which expels excess liquid on contraction.
- ‘A green fluorescent protein fusion of drainin localizes specifically to the contractile vacuole and rescues its periodic discharge in drainin-null cells.’
- ‘The purpose of the contractile vacuole is to expel excess water from the cell, preventing the cell from swelling up.’
- ‘Notice the collapsing contractile vacuole in the lower middle of the frame.’
- ‘The cytoplasm contains, in addition to digestive vacuoles, contractile vacuoles which probably function in the control of osmotic pressures.’
- ‘The amount of contractile vacuoles can tailor in accordance with suctorian species, age and size.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.